The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo (2011)

I do not like doing traditional reviews, especially ones where I give a rating after summing up a movie. It feels like it cheapens the whole experience and insults all who were involved in the making of the film. I don't even like to give out information about what occurs in a film as I personally enjoy them much more when I know little to nothing about them. So if you want a review look elsewhere. No spoilers here.

I had heard a lot about The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo long before its release and it was definitely on my radar. I like Daniel Craig, David Fincher is a good director, and the pictures of Rooney Mara in character drew me in. I think the years have also helped me to develop a sense of when a film will be good and when it will be bad. My built in sensor was telling me that TGWTDT was going to be another movie where I enjoy it overall but others would not because of its pacing or darker content. I think my sensor was pretty spot on.

Before seeing the movie, I avoided the trailer wherever it would show up. I do this a lot with movies, that is going out of my way to avoid the trailers of films when I know they will be cut from quality cloth. To be honest I don't think that was really necessary with this film as its strongest offering is the characters themselves. The story is very well done and I don't have any issues with it, however, watching the characters fuel the story was the highlight for me. Rooney Mara was extraordinary as Lisbeth Salander and I commend how she handled the difficult "R" rated scenes that made my stomach turn and the whole audience become breathless.

I enjoyed the film tremendously. The mood was appropriately dark when it needed to be, the actors and actresses never left me disappointed, and the story was engaging without pushing aside or forgetting any of its characters. I recommend viewing this movie at least once. Having only watched the movie a few hours ago, already I am finding myself wanting to watch it once more to catch all of the subtle details I know I missed.

2 Comments

  1. Blaq said...

    I haven't watched the Hollywood remakes but I thoroughly enjoyed the original Millenium trilogy (haven't read the books though). But because Hollywood rarely produces a good remake, I urge you to go watch the originals if you are ok with watching subtitled foreign movies. They're really good (but in Swedish).

    yeah, you're absolutely right about urgent need to watch it again... i've watched, loved, adored, desperately searched info whether Fincher would do the sequel, then downloaded the books, read two of them (2nd and 3rd) in a 32 hours and still remembered the seconds when Lisbeth're watching Blomkvist's back pn Xmas...
    i love cold and flawless, abstract unemotional picture of everything in this film, except Lisbeth. she is the fire, she can burn but not warm

Post a Comment

Original theme by Newwpthemes. Modified by MaximusJacobus.